The Blue Star Memorial Marker Program of the National Garden Clubs, Inc. began in 1945 to honor the men and women serving in the Armed Forces during World War II. The name was chosen for the star on flags displayed in homes and businesses denoting a family member serving. Garden clubs pictured a ribbon of living memorial plantings traversing every state. The designation of Blue Star Highways was achieved through petitions to the state legislatures and cooperation with the Departments of Transportation. A uniform marker was designed to identify the Highways.
The Blue Star Memorial Program grew to extend thousands of miles across continental U.S., Alaska, and Hawaii.
All men and women who have served, are serving, or will serve in the Armed Forces of the United States are included. Markers continue to be dedicated each year on highways, Veterans’ facilities, National Cemeteries, parks, and civic and historic sites, showing our appreciation for those who defend our country.
The Blue Star Guidelines booklet may be downloaded for free on the NGC website at www.gardenclub.org.
It contains an expanded history, shipping information, dedication ceremony examples, awards information, the order form and much more.