The Roadside Wildflower Program, “Operation Wildflower”, was originated in 1972 by the Tulsa Garden Club and Mrs. W.C. Roads.
It was adopted by the Oklahoma Garden Clubs, Inc., in 1974 as a continuing state project. Goals were based on conservation and ecology; to save the native grasses and wildflowers, educate the public in the appreciation, preservation, propagation and enhancement of the highways with wildflowers.
This program has now developed into a national project. In 1977, the Wildflower Coloring Contest was began and continues today.
Division I – Kindergarten – 1st and 2nd grades – color the picture
( Please contact sponsoring club for outline)
Division II – Grades 3, 4 & 5
Division III – Grades 6, 7 & 8
Division IV – Grades 9, 10, 11 & 12
Division V – Special needs
Division VI – Senior Citizens
1. Wildflower must be drawn on a (8 1/2 x 11) sheet of paper or card stock.
2. The design and medium should be done with colored pencils, crayons, watercolors, markers, or chalk.
3. Botanical and common name of wildflower must be at the bottom of the page
4. Entry must be the work of the contestant.
5. Division IV and VI contestants MUST write a paragraph about the wildflower.
6. On Back of your entry (lower right corner) tape a separate tag with the following information: Name, street, town, grade, division number, school, parents’s name, Garden Club sponsor, & District.
7. The wildflower will be different each year.
CRITERIA FOR JUDGING
Authentic color 55 points
Neatness 30 points
Proper Labeling 15 points
Total Points 100
Division I,II,III, IV: 1st $10., 2nd $7. 3rd – $5.
Division V & VI: Certificates only
Deadline: Posters must be mailed to State Wildflower Chairman, immediately after District Judging NO later than March 5.
Only 1st place winners in the district are sent into state.
All prize-winning pictures become the property of OGC, Inc. These will be used as exhibits to the public, and may, in time, be returned to the artist.
Click Here To Print Rules
Click Here To Print Coloring Sheet
Click Here To Print Colored Picture of Coned Flower